Re: Bits from the Release Team (Jessie freeze info)

Steven Chamberlain <steven@pyro.eu.org> writes:
> On 21/10/13 16:42, Niels Thykier wrote:
>> I would love for us to have an automated system to give us a
>> "weather-report" on the toolchain for each architecture.  It would be
>> nice both for us to see how ports are doing and for porters to spot and
>> fix problems early.
>
> That sounds a lot like the purpose of Jenkins[0], but I'm not sure if
> it's exactly suitable.  It seems a little heavy, that someone could more
> easily be able to script some cron jobs for a task than learn how to
> use it.

It's actually a pretty low barrier to entry, if you know what commands
you need to run, it's pretty easy to get started with jenkins (create
job, have it execute shell commands, write shell in box, hit build).

I'd say that it's about 10 times more likely you'll get it right in
Jenkins before you get it right in cron.

> And Jenkins isn't available yet on all arches;  some ports may not have
> hardware powerful enough to run it.  Maybe that doesn't matter - a
> single Jenkins instance might be able to launch jobs via remote shells
> to other boxes, running the actual test suite there, or maybe just to
> fetch, analyse and report on the resulting log files.

Jenkins can have slaves on remote hosts, via SSH. It runs a small java
app there, so as long as the arch has a JVM then you're pretty right.

--
Stewart Smith