Re: Deterministic builds

Hi,

Something we can also do, which I hadn't thought of until now, is to
compare kernel images built on kfreebsd-amd64 vs. on linux amd64.  An
obvious difference is the ELF header:

> kfreebsd-amd64/boot/kfreebsd-9.2-1-amd64: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
> amd64/boot/kfreebsd-9.2-1-amd64: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

Maybe we ought to override that when building on non-FreeBSD?
$ elfedit --output-osabi=FreeBSD boot/kfreebsd-9.2-1-amd64

Also there are some other differences, possibly explained by GCC package
revision being different for each build, otherwise we could speculate
it's a secret backdoor compiled into Robert's binary upload ;)

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org