Re: Deterministic builds

On 18/09/13 23:02, Robert Millan wrote:
> Upstream does something similar with svn version number. I suggest you
> look at newvers.sh, perhaps it can be expanded to support other variables.

Thanks.  I saw that, and was able to do something similar.

The gzipped kernel image now seems to be identical between builds.  The
.deb files still vary unless some Debian toolchain issues can be
resolved[0].  For example, files archived in readdir order which can
vary on ZFS, and timestamps in the .deb's 'ar' archive.

[0]:
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?usertag=reproducible-builds@lists.alioth.debian.org

Some loadable kernel modules exhibit another issue;  full paths to the
source files are embedded within zfs.ko and others.  That may be
explained by this[1] although I can't seem to strip them out.  It
happens both with gcc-4.8 and clang-3.3.

[1]:
https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds#Files_in_data.tar.gz_contains_build_paths

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org