Re: Keymaps in virtual consoles.

Hi,

On 11/09/13 12:37, Mats Erik Andersson wrote:
>    keymap="swedish.iso.kbd"

Are you able to activate a keymap with "kbdcontrol -l
/usr/share/syscons/keymaps/$keymap"?  Does it have any effect?

I imagine some further modifications may be needed or else some keys
such as backspace or cursors may not work correctly.

I also imagine most characters are not rendered properly even if you are
able to type them:

> Rather, I suspect the screen fonts to be incomplete. But they are
> complete in FreeBSD, so why not also in GNU/kFreeBSD.

It is possible to change screen 'fonts', and some of them do include
accented European, Cyrillic and even what appears like Thai glyphs.  But
the terminal itself seems unable to display a large enough set of
characters -- if you see the red '?' displayed, changing font won't
change that.

I think it requires the kernel option TEKEN_UTF8.  AIUI it was disabled
because our ncurses didn't seem to work with it (Bug #559364).  Maybe
that was in fact a mistake;  maybe changing the keymap really broke
ncurses but UTF-8 console rendering is fine?

Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org