Re: FreeBSD 9.2

Moin!

Robert Millan <rmh@debian.org> writes:
> However, as we're currently in the middle of FreeBSD 9.1 transition,
> this could be a bit disruptive for 9.1 testing.
>
> Some ideas on what could be done:
>
> - Fast-track 9.1 by uploading it immediately to unstable, then upload
> 9.2 (at least kernel) to experimental.
>
> - Skip 9.1 completely and upload 9.2 to experimental right away while
> leaving 9.0 in unstable.
>
> - Don't bother with early adoption of 9.2. Finish the 9.1 transition
> smoothly by keeping it in experimental for a reasonable period, then
> uploading to unstable and waiting for jessie migration. Once it's
> done, then put 9.2 in experimental (which will most likely be the
> final 9.2-RELEASE by that time).
>
> So what to do? Please share your thoughts!

  Hm I'd probably skip 9.1 (or maybe put it into unstable
immediately). IMHO there's not much point in just finishing 9.1 to start
moving to 9.2 right away.

  I think it's also OK to take some risks for unstable (like getting 9.1
there). Testing we'll get in experimental is even more limited than in
unstable (where also not that much testing happens for kfreebsd-*) and
having 9.1 would allow us to get some things started (like Intel KMS
drivers) that dfepend on a kernel > 9.0.

  In the end however you, Petr and Steven are probably more the experts
to listen to than me however ;-)

    Christoph

--
9FED 5C6C E206 B70A 5857  70CA 9655 22B9 D49A E731
Debian Developer | Lisp Hacker | CaCert Assurer