Wheezy experience

Hi,
I would like to share my experience with Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. I decided to start using this because I needed to use ZFS for my data and also have as much similar environment I use on my other servers. I chose wheezy (zfs v. 28) and were installing from the current mini.iso cd image. I have found several slight issues:

* The installer kept installing the grub onto ada0 disk, regardless what disk was selected as root device for installation. Even during the expert installation. So I had to put temporary the root disk onto the first position to be named ada0 to get it installed. Afterward, I needed to tweak the grub.cfg and vfstab to go for ufsid instead of the device name during the booting. This allows me to use hot-swap disks without any problems with boot devices.

* I was unable to enable TRIM on the SSD I use for root fs. FreeBSD allows me to do it via tunefs -t, however it is not an option in GNU/kfreebsd.

* I did not manage to make any automounter working. Freebsd amd is AFAIK not available in Debian and the autofs is not available for kfreebsd.

* iostat (dstat, etc.) does not show any disk activity. Since the main purpose of this machine is a file server, this would be really nice to have.

* Currently fighting with NFS server (nfsd). For some reason the nfs daemon gets started during the boot before the "right" nfs daemon start script is called (/etc/init.d/nfsd). Because of this, the rc "nfsd start" refuses to start because the nfsd is already running. Unfortunately, the running daemon is not called via this rc script, therefore without options set in /etc/default/nfsd. So after every reboot I need to restart all nfs related services to get nfs server correctly running. This is something I need to investigate more.

Overall, I am very happy - I made all the main components working as they are on my other Debian servers. So mainly I want to thank to the maintainers and give this feedback.

Thanks & Regards
--
Vaclav Vobornik
http://syslog.eu