Re: UFS performance oddities

Agreed, ZFS on 32-bit CPUs is pretty much a lost cause at this point - I tried using Freenas 8--32-bit with ~2GB of RAM, and it was unstable using Zfs.  It's $dying-architecture anyhow, and would prolly need months of work to get the code sorted (which would be a nice thing if Google Summer of Code wants to tackle it.  Think of ZFS re-ported to use native 32-bit internals, due to intentionally limited storage expectations - say ~2TB disk max.  Would be nice for a home NAS builder on a budget that just wants to re-purpose their old P4 with 2-3GB RAM or the like, and doesn't want to grow it out too much.)

ZFS currently works nice on 64-bit with 4GB of RAM+, or 2GB RAM if you're using a Cloud server.  I wouldn't recommend it on 32-bit Intel/AMD, although YMMV if they still make a 32-bit Solaris/clone.