Kfreebsd Install of 8-28 mini.iso SUCCESS :) - with outstanding X issue

--Ladies and gentlemen, I am pleased to report that Kfreebsd 8-28 netinstall--64 worked OK in Vmware 8.04!

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-kfreebsd-amd64/current/images/netboot-9/

+ Installed wheezy/testing using proxy and Expert install on ZFS-only filesystem == OK

- ZFS was a little hard to configure -- non-intuitive (needs some work ++ HELP screen with examples)

+ Lowmem installer component works OK :)

------

KfreeBSD ZFS-root HOWTO: (Basic root ZFS filesystem with noatime)

Partition disks: Manual

o If you have an existing ZFS config and want to wipe it out, 1st go to ZFS config in this menu and delete your pool(s); then:

+ Hit Enter on SCSI1 (da0) to write a new partition table

o Use msdos partition table

o Once partition table is written, go up to ZFS config

ZFS + create main ZFS pool called "tank0" on (1) disk (da0)
+ Then create Logical volume called "root" -100MB of the entire size (given a 12GB disk, tank0 fills the entire disk with default size 11736MB; allocate 11636MB to root.  PROTIP: Display config details before Finishing.

o The installer will then ask you for the mount options for " / ".

+ Select noatime as mount option (keep the rest defaults! Label: none ; 5% reserved)

- I did not allocate any swap space to start with since thisvm has 4GB RAM - installer will warn you, but you can create it later

o Finish and write changes

+ Packages selection: Desktop, Fileserver, SSH, standard

+ Grub is fixed :)

-------

BUG - on 1st boot after install, X tried to come up but only had a blank screen.

FIX: I fixed it by killing the lightdm process and doing ' Xorg -configure ' as root, then copying the xorg.conf.new file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and issuing ' startx ' as non-root user.  Lightdm is still (re)booting to blank screen, so still have to manually fix by killing lightdm ++ ' startx '.

BUG: After issuing ' reboot ', system hung.  Hard-poweroff and cold-boot VM fixed this, but still boots to blank X screen.  See above fix.

BUG: Subsequent ' reboot ' still consistently hangs the system in the same place:
Kernel messages follow:
[[

acpi0: <INTEL 440BX> on motherboard
acpi0: Power button (fixed)
Timecounter "HPET" frequency 14318180 Hz quality 950
]]

---

--My compliments, nice work so far on bugfixes, keep up the good work!  KFBSD needs more testing in Vmware.  (and Yes, I'm happy to volunteer!)  Once we get X up and running as expected from the installer, I'll be happy to put up a VM on FreeOSZoo :)