Re: Providing strl/strl.h in libbsd

Hi!

On Wed, 2012-11-21 at 21:14:05 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I'm one of the maintainers of opendkim.  The upstream developer is a
> BSD user and opendkim makes use of strlcpy and strlcat and he has, up
> to now, provided an embedded copy of these functions for non-BSD
> platforms.
>
> In opendkim 2.7,  there is the possibility to use a system strlcpy and
> srtlcat, which I can make work, but due to the lack of strl.h, there are
> implicit declaration warnings.  Would it be possible to add this header
> file to the Debian shipped libbsd?

Well strl.h is not a “standard” BSD header, on BSDs those functions are
declared in <string.h>, when using libbsd it's either in <string.h>
when using the overlay (pkg-config --cflags libbsd-overlay), or in
<bsd/string.h>.

I've just checked to see where this strl.h is coming from, and it
appears to be a compat library of its own, and TBH I don't see the
point in adding support for that when it's not a standard BSD header,
and while I'm trying to get rid of the non-standard headers from
libbsd. If upstream is using those functions from the native BSD
system then the libbsd overlay should imply zero changes to the
upstream sources.

Thanks,
Guillem