Re: ZFS monthly scrubs

2011/11/9 Arno Töll <debian@toell.net>:
> I think we should look at similar tasks in other packages. On Linux,
> mdadm for example runs a similar task and checks the array regularly
> which likewise causes heavy I/O loads.

mdadm runs checkarray monthly (it avoids /etc/cron.montly/ and instead
uses a custom crontab to run the first sunday of each month).

e2fsck runs a forced check after 20 mounts or 6 months since last
check, whichever comes first.

For a system that's used regularly 20 mounts is basically one month.
I get the impression there's consensus on one month as a reasonable
interval.

>> Should zfsutils package install a script in /etc/cron.monthly/zfs to
>> do this?  It can be disabled of course, the question is whether it
>> should be there by default.
>
> I'd do so.

Would you use /etc/cron.monthly or a custom script to run first sunday
of every month like mdadm?

Running only on sunday sounds good, I wonder why doesn't
/etc/cron.monthly always run on sundays already.