Re: ZFS v28: call for testing

2011/11/3 Arno Töll <debian@toell.net>:
>> If we remove -dev packages, we won't have external users anymore, then
>> checking for ABI changes becomes unnecessary.
>
> No, there you are wrong. You'd run once more into the very same problem
> we had recently. Since the libraries aren't producing a clean version
> information, zfsutils (and dtrace in future) would depend unversioned on
> libwhatever.

Ah, right, I overlooked this.

I think we could avoid this problem with more strict depends, e.g.:

Package: zfsutils
Depends: libzfs (= ${source:Version})

What do you think?

> There you are unfortunately right which is why I was experimenting with
> private libraries. Your statement that dtrace will depend on those
> libraries makes that plan of course obsolete.

Well it's just a plan. Nobody volunteered to package dtrace yet
anyway. But it seems like this approach results in less work in the
long term don't you think? Our manpower is very scarce as you can see
:-(