Re: cardbus wired NIC trouble, any suggestions?

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011, YongHyeon PYUN wrote:

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 12:11:44AM +0100, Christoph Egger wrote:
Hi Yongari!

  Adding you into the loop as per suggestion by Robert Millan. I'm
having trouble getting my cardbus NIC to work on the FreeBSD
kernel. Apart from the debian 8.2 9.0 and 10.0 Kernels I have now also
tested the "original" FreeBSD 9.0 RC1 memory stick image (from
www.freebsd.org) which exhibits the exact same problem detailed below. I
don't have a problem with patching and recompiling my kernel if I can be
of any help.

I'm not familiar with Cardbus based controller so I have no clean
idea how to attack this at this moment.  Basically all Cardbus
controllers are seen as PCI device in device driver.  Because re(4)
successfully attached to the controller and re(4) supports RTL8110
based controller I think you may want to try enabling a loader
tunable like the following in /boot/loader.conf file.

hw.re.prefer_iomap="1"

If /boot/loader.conf does not exist on your box, try crate it and
reboot and let me know whether that makes any difference on your box.

(kFreeBSD is architected such that it does not use the freebsd loader, and therefore /boot/loader.conf will not actually do any useful settings. You should set that tunable in your grub configuration instead. This most commonly comes up for kern.hz; googling for that with kfreebsd should bring up an example configuration to crib from.)

-Ben Kaduk