Wheezy ZFS Root Comments

Good Day,

I've just installed kfreebsd using the wheezy installer, and it looks to me much improved from squeeze in terms of using zfs as a root filesystem.  So, thanks for all the hard work.

Here is some feedback on my recent experience.

I think that the user should be given a chance to enter a name for the zpool during installation in the same way that when installing Linux, the user has a chance to enter the name of a Volume Group for LVM root.  The reason is that now that i have my system installed, its got "debian-ad4s1" for a pool name which I think is going to be a total pain to rename to something more friendly since I will have to find all the references in grub and update them to use the new name.  Enough of a pain, its not worth doing for me at the time.  Mostly I want to add another disk to the pool so my root is a mirror, and as soon as this pool is a mirror, this name is not useful at all to identify all of the disk(s) belonging to the pool.  If there is a better way to rename the pool, I am all ears.

The second bit I would like to add, is that it shouldn't be mandatory to use partitions at all when using ZFS from the installer.  ZFS is perfectly capable of using disks without any partitions on them at all, and from my understanding of using ZFS in this way, it will actually improve performance because you are giving the filesystem access to write cache on the disk.  See this link for more about that:

http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/ZFS_Best_Practices_Guide#Storage_Pools

Regards,

Zach