Re: Install from USB flash drive

Hi,

David Balazic wrote:
> Is booting the installer from am USB flash drive (key) supported for kbsd
> amd64?
>
> First I tried to cat the kbsd-amd64 netinst iso for the drive, which
> did not boot,

This is obviously because there is no MBR in the System Area of
the ISO image.

Debian/Linux amd64 images are meanwhile produced with isohybrid MBR.
But those have boot image files from ISOLINUX, not from GRUB.
Thus it is not possible to copy an MBR from a Debian/Linux image
and to repack the Debian/kFreeBSD image with that MBR.

But the ISO images produced by GRUB 1.99 script grub-mkrescue have
an MBR that boots from disk or stick. So it should be possible to
produce future Debian/kFreeBSD images with a similar functionality.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas