Re: DKMS support

Package: freebsd-buildutils
Severity: wishlist

2011/7/16 Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>:
> The patch omits some context that is probably important to what is actually
> going on, so I do not speak with full confidence.  It seems that depmod is
> roughly similar to freebsd's kldxref(8).  The latter is not mentioned in the
> changelog and does not appear in the patch -- does kFreeBSD circumvent the
> generation of hints for the kernel linker, or is this step taken elsewhere
> (in the individual module build routine, say), or should it be added in
> DKMS?

I don't know the answer to your questions, but it turns out we don't
provide kldxref yet.  Untill we do it's out of the question to rely on
it :-)

I'm making a bug out of this so that it's not forgotten.

Btw, my port of DKMS also assumes that modules may only be installed
in the top directory in /lib/modules/$KVER/ (which is true currently).