Re: xserver-xorg-video-intel missing

Am Donnerstag, 7. Juli 2011, 15:58:06 schrieb Robert Millan:
> 2011/7/7 Hannes <debian-bsd-list@soulrebel.in-berlin.de>:
> > After some bug-reporting that what fixed, but now apparently this
> > was reverted. Was there a specific reason for this?
>
> It was disabled because recent versions require KMS, which kernel of
> FreeBSD doesn't support yet.

Hm, so the accepted result is: Intel-Users don't get any x? ^^

> > Also, if someone does reactivate automated builds for the intel
> > driver, can we force the version to <=2.7.1 since later versions
> > don't work at all without KMS or require newer kernel-drm which
> > is not ported yet?
>
> It could be done but it's not that simple, someone would have to
> maintain a package of the old version, as well as an old version of
> libdrm, then sort out conflicts with the latest libdrm, etc.

AFAICT the following other packages are involved (at least in stock
FreeBSD its those):
libdrm, libGL, libGLU, libGLw, libglut,  dri, mesa-demos

These are pretty independent of the rest I think, at least I had all
sorts of different versions running with different xserver-versions on
FreeBSD. Then again, I am not sure about the packaging in Debian and
more recent versions of X.

> There has been some progress in FreeBSD upstream to implement KMS:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2011-June/010898.html
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU
>
> Perhaps there's usable KMS support by the time kfreebsd 9.0 is
> released.

Yeah I know about that, but it's still a big "perhaps" in my eyes. Also
FreeBSD doesn't have a record of sticking to their timeframes for
releases ...

Anyways thanks for your help,
Regards,
Hannes