Re: glibc port to kfreebsd/mips

On 2/25/2011 11:43 AM, Petr Salinger wrote:
>>> Is there any reason you aren't using NPTL? Lack of futex-compatible
>>> syscall?
>>
>> To be honest, I haven't really investigated if the syscalls used by
>> FreeBSD userland (libkse and libthr) can be used to implement
>> futex funcionality.  I believe that porting NPTL to kernel of FreeBSD
>> would require significant effort.
>
> Namely given the usual glibc upstream support for non-linux ports.
> There is similar syscall in FreeBSD as futex, but it uses long not int.

I can't say if that will or will not be a problem. The ports headers
hide the type of the lock word, and as long as it's not a structure
(like it was on hppa) it should be possible to have it work transparently.

My strong suggestion is that someone take a crack at using NPTL, it's
the right way forward.

Cheers,
Carlos.
--