Postgresql deying access

Hi,
I just installed a test machine where I expect to run (also) postgresql.

After installing the package, I'm unable to access as postgresql user:

[...]
Starting PostgreSQL 8.4 database server: main.
Setting up postgresql (8.4.7-0squeeze2) ...
Setting up postgresql-client (8.4.7-0squeeze2) ...
root@netmon:~# su - postgres
postgres@netmon:~$ psql template1
psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

I already checked that a fresh "traditional" squeeze machine does not
behave the same (and known squeeze bugs say nothing about this), so this
seems a kFreeBSD-flavour issue.
Did not try to get around the problem (sorry) so can't really tell where
the problem is, only that passing the socket path does not change the
behavior:

postgres@netmon:~$ psql template1 --host /var/run/postgresql
psql: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

Is anybody using postgres on squeeze/kFreeBSD?

--
# Emanuele Balla            #                            #
# System & Network Engineer # Cell:  +39 348 7747907     #