Re: A (partial) installation report

Dear people,

On Feb 07 2010, Hannes wrote:
> lördag 06 februari 2010 09:44:37 skrev  Rogério Brito:
> > Hi, Hannes.
> >
> > On Feb 04 2010, Hannes wrote:
> > > Load the following modules on start:
> > > geom_bsd
> > > geom_label
> > > geom_mb
> >
> > (Is the last module supposed to end with _mbr, instead of only _mb?)
>
> Yes!

OK, thanks, but I am still having the same problem.

Just to recap, I have no problems booting with kfreebsd-7.2, but with
kfreebsd-8.0, I get the kernel complaining that it can't mount the root
filesystem (I get the "mountroot>" prompt) and even if I try to see the
GEOM managed devices (pressing a question mark at that prompt) I get an
empty list.

> > > Maybe you can load them directly with grub2, I don't know.
> >
> > I loaded with the kfreebsd_module_elf directive of grub2, but I still
> > get the mountroot prompt and an empty list of GEOM managed devices.
> >  :-(
>
> Bad :(

I already tried to insert:

  kfreebsd_module_elf /lib/module/8.0-1-686/geom_bsd.ko
  kfreebsd_module_elf /lib/module/8.0-1-686/geom_label.ko
  kfreebsd_module_elf /lib/module/8.0-1-686/geom_mbr.ko

right after the line that loads the kernel, but I had no success yet
(since past month).

> > Just to remeber, I can boot with 7.2-1-686 without any problems.
>
> Yeah, fbsd7 had the classes compiled in. I couldn't boot my systems
> after upgrading to 8 without loading (some of) the aforementioned
> modules. I had the same error message as you, so I really think it is
> related.

Short of recompiling my own kernel including the GEOM class of modules
(if that is indeed the solution to my problem), can I load anything
dynamically, so that I can understand the system slightly better?

Most of the documentation present on the search engines don't apply to
GRUB2---they are mostly about freebsd's own bootloader. :-(

> I have never used grub2, so maybe it is related to grub2 not loading the
> modules in time. Have you tried chainloading /boot/loader? is that
> available at all in current versions (sorry, I am not up2date)?

No, /boot/loader is not present at all and all the manpages related to
it are missing/inexistent.

BTW, just to show my perspective, I hope to get a newer kernel to see if
some of my problems will go away: for instance, I'm seeing problems
whenever I try to rm -rf a directory tree where I built my packages
(this seems to be known, if I recall correctly a message from Petr).

Well, any help is quite welcome here. (Just for the record, this is a
real hardware, not a virtual machine).

Thanks, Rogério Brito.

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8