Re: Some more questions from my kFreeBSD talk at FOSDEM

Hi Petr,

thanks for the very quick response!

Petr Salinger wrote:
>> I'm also not totally satisfied with the answers given so far, e.g.:
>>
>> | Q. Do standard programs run under Debian GNU/kFreeBSD using the Linux
>> | Compatibility Layer?
>> |
>> | A. No.
>>
>> Q. Why not?
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Oh, And Petr: I would rephrase that question back to "Do _Linux_
>> programs run under Debian GNU/kFreeBSD using the Linux Compatibility
>> Layer?" I have no idea what you meant with "standard" programs.
>
> So rephrase question in a different way.

Thanks! That made way more clear what you meant.

> Q: Which syscall kernel interface is used by binaries compiled
>    for Debian GNU/kFreeBSD ?
>
> A: The native FreeBSD one.
>
> Q: Is it possible to run FreeBSD binaries under Debian GNU/kFreeBSD kernel ?
>
> A: Yes, please just use the full chroot with FreeBSD libraries.
>
> Q: Is it possible to run Linux binaries under Debian GNU/kFreeBSD kernel ?
>
> A: It is untested, but it should be, as long as standard FreeBSD
>    Linux Compatibility Layer is sufficient.

Great! I really wondered about that "No" there. :-)

>    Some symlinks might be missing. May be even linux-i386 chroot
>    under kfreebsd-amd64 and kfreebsd-i386 works.
>
> At least simple static Linux binaries run under our kernel,
> but I didn't test it more, like
>
> debootstrap --arch=i386 sid ./linux-chroot http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian

Will add these questions and answers to the wiki either later this
afternoon or late this evening since I give a kfreebsd talk at our LUG
this evening. So I'm quite happy that I can add the answers to these
questions already to the slides for this evening. :-)

P.S.: Tolimar will also give a Debian GNU/kFreeBSD talk at CeBIT based
on these slides. See [1] for the announcement.

  [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-news/2010/msg00000.html

Cc to Tolimar so he gets that information, too.

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin