Re: Releasability of the kFreeBSD ports

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 12:11:26PM -0400, Tuco wrote:
> I intend to deploy Debian GNU/kFreeBSD as a backup / NAS server. I
> think as a desktop it's still inmature but as a server it's very
> usable and has wonderful capabilities in storage
> area thanks to ZFS (for example http://www.ypass.net/solaris/zfsbackup/).
>
> I also think it can be a good firewall with PF. It would be very
> useful to me if there was a stable release with security support.
> Running an unreleased system in production is a bit
> impractical :-(

So this (firewall/router requirement) is what brought me to kFreeBSD in
the first place and I have to say that this is not without problems.

First, I cannot run "netstat -rn" in kFreeBSD. I have yet to file a bug
on this, but it just shows how elementary communication channels between
userland and the kernel are broken.

Second, I cannot do PPPoE, because netgraph is broken:

This may be related to the netgraph bug, but it at least completely keep
me from using the system because my gateway here hooks up to the network
through PPPoE. This is a fairly common setup for home systems in Canada
(to say the least).. ;)

So I think it would be great to release kFreeBSD with squeeze, but I'm
not sure we should consider it a blocker. Granted, it was one of the
objectives of the release in the first place, but I feel we are stuck in
a bunch of places that make that objective very hard to accomplish.

I would rather see a separate suite like was suggested earlier..

Keep up the good work (both -release and -bsd ;),

A.

--
Modern man has a kind of poverty of the spirit which stands
in great contrast to his remarkable scientific and technological