Re: A (partial) installation report

Hi, Petr.

On Feb 04 2010, Petr Salinger wrote:
> https://buildd.debian.org/stats/graph-quarter-big.png
> http://glibc-bsd.alioth.debian.org/NOTES.archive

Thanks. I will keep an eye on both.

> >If I understand it correctly, FreeBSD uses OSS and programs with support
> >for that should work. Is that right?  I don't know if I would need to
> >load any possible module or not.
>
> Yes, 1st guess is to try "kldload snd_t4dwave",

OK, this worked fine. mplayer is able to play a video that I just got
from youtube. vlc, on the other hand, just spat a bunch of error
messages. I filed a bug against xserver-xorg-video-sis, since I didn't
know any better. I did not tag it with user nor with the debian-bsd
list.

> alternatively please send "lspci -v" and "lspci -vn".

I will put these lists on a webpage just for reference, since I may be
filing some extra bugs with this machine.

> >kfreebsd-8 doesn't boot, while kfreebsd-7 does. Any hint here?
>
> Does it start booting, i.e have been kernel loaded ?

Yes, it does boot. But it complains that the kernel could not mount the
root device, even though the device name is exactly the same as the one
in kfreebsd-7 (/dev/ad2s1).

Of course, I don't know if I don't have the proper kernel driver
compiled in the kernel or not or if the name of the device has changed
with version 8 or whatever.

With Linux, I frequently compile my own kernels---so I don't have this
problem there, but I hope to be able to customize my own kernels with
kfreebsd.

> What is the last line printed ?

Well, the last line isn't really useful, since it is just a boot prompt
and nothing else. The preceeding lines are more informative, though
(copied by hand---please excuse any errors here):

,----
| Timecounter "TSC" frequency 1294237239 Hz quality 80
| Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
| Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad2s1
| ROOT MOUNT ERROR
| If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following
| from the loader prompt:
|
| 	set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
|
| and then remove invalid entries from /etc/fstab
|
| Loader variables:
| vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ad2s1
| vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
`----

If I try to ? at the boot prompt, then it tell me that:

,----
| List of GEOM managed disk devices:

`----

Yes, an empty list. Is there anything easy to solve this?

Thanks for your kind support,

--
Rogério Brito : rbrito@{ime.usp.br,gmail.com} : GPG key 1024D/7C2CAEB8
http://rb.doesntexist.org : Packages for LaTeX : algorithms.berlios.de