Re: devd, acpiconf and such

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 03:26:39PM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Looking at the freebsd kernel event system I obviously came across the
> devd.  Are there any plans to include it or is the plan to port the
> Linux udev system to kfreebsd?

The plan is to include it, the udev file system is not something that
can be ported, it is to dependent on the kernel.

> Looking at devd.conf and its usage I have to say that I really like
> it; in contrast to udev (or whatever the current hotplug system on
> GNU/Linux is) it is easy to understand and thus I assume also easy to
> debug.  It is much like pf.conf in contrast to iptables.  The devd
> code does not look too complex and it should be straightforward to
> port it to glibc.
>
> To support acpi suspend we also need the acpiconf tool, which is even
> more trivial.
>
> Anyone working on it?  Shall I take it up?

As far as I know, no one is working on that. Ideally this should be
integrated to the freebsd-utils source package (possibly producing new
binary packages), but this is probably a detail, the most important job
being to port it to glibc.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73