Re: Directions for starting with the BSD flavor of Debian

So, in light of this, I would like to know what would be a good starting
point for working with the kfreebsd-amd64 port of Debian (and, depending
on the circumstances, I may even adopt it as my main OS).

Start with this http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD
links "Install guide" and "QEMU install tutorial".
Use the old hacked FreeBSD installer, the kernel in the latest http://glibc-bsd.alioth.debian.org/install-cd/
should be fine also for kfreebsd-i386. Just do not upgrade it for now ...

Are there any live CDs? Is unstable too unstable for regular use?
Currently not, the GING is really outdated.

Is unstable too unstable for regular use?
Not so much, we also started to populate into testing.

I will start compiling my own
packages with the BSD port, just to see which results I get

According to links from
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=rbrito@ime.usp.br
it looks like only avr-evtd needs your attention.

Petr