Directions for starting with the BSD flavor of Debian

Hi there.

I would like to help with the BSD port of Debian.

First, I would like to experience it, but as I just read the archives,
there seems to be a kernel panic issue and I have never used a BSD
system before (thus, I wouldn't know how to fix and recompile the
kernel).

I can do some trivial changes to the Linux kernel (and had some patches
incorporated in the Linus tree before), but I'm just starting from
scratch with BSD.

So, in light of this, I would like to know what would be a good starting
point for working with the kfreebsd-amd64 port of Debian (and, depending
on the circumstances, I may even adopt it as my main OS).

Are there any live CDs? Is unstable too unstable for regular use? I can
deal with the "usual" breakage of unstable, but I have no background on
what the equivalents of low-level systems that depend on Linux would be
(say, what would be the equivalent of udev, if there is one at all?).

Anyway, any hints would be appreciated and I will start compiling my own
packages with the BSD port, just to see which results I get (and some
packages from experimental).

Thanks, Rogério Brito.