Re: 10_freebsd.in script for GRUB

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 11:10:58PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Aurelien asked me about getting GRUB 2 working on GNU/kFreeBSD.  There's
> been much work in upstream to implement loading for kernel of FreeBSD, and
> recently some polish in the installer, etc.
>
> grub-mkconfig (update-grub's backend), however, still generates entries
> based on the single /boot/kernel/kernel instance.  I hear you want it
> multi-version like on GNU/Linux, and support for loading acpi.ko too.
>
> I implemented both of them.  It's basically a rewrite of 10_freebsd.in
> based on our existing 10_linux.in.  It'll need some adjustments in upstream
> so they can share more code, but for now you can test it already, see
> attachment.
>
> (you can put it in util/grub.d/ and rebuild GRUB, or do the autoconf
> sed magic by hand)

I have finally been able to test it, and it works. Thanks a lot.

Would it be possible to get it in the grub-pc package?

Then I think we should start to think of transitioning from
kfreebsd-loader to grub. What is needed for that? I think the first
would be to have the postinst of kfreebsd-image-* look at
/etc/kernel-img.conf and implement:
- link_in_boot
- postinst_hook
- postrm_hook
- do_bootloader

Then people can start to using grub instead of kfreebsd-loader on a
voluntary basis. If everything goes well, we can then think about
defaulting to grub instead of kfreebsd-loader on already existing
installations (d-i for GNU/kFreeBSD uses grub by default).

Any comments?

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73