GNU/kFreeBSD packages in the Debian archive

Hi all,

Following the announcement of the GNU/kFreeBSD's integration into the
Debian archive [1], the build daemons have been recently switched to the
official archive, and packages have started to get in.

Currently a bit more than 40% of the packages are built on
kfreebsd-amd64 and a bit more than 20% on kfreebsd-i386. The
kfreebsd-i386 build daemons have been started later, thus the
difference.

The bad news is that we are missing ganymede1 and ganymede2 build
daemons. They are down for an unknown reason, and I have been unable to
contact the local admin yet. OTOH we are not really limited by CPU, but
rather by the speed at which we break build-depends loops. And things
are a lot worse compared to when we started the port, there are a huge
number of huge loops.

We are also being (or will get) blocked by some build failures. They are
currently:
- openssl
- coreutils
- fftw3
- esound (bug already filled)
- net-snmp (due to libbsd, but being worked on)
- libattr/libacl (I'll send a separate mail about those ones).

fftw3 is not that critical, but this is a really interesting case. The
testsuite hang, while it was not the case in the previous version. This
is not the first case we see a testsuite hanging like that, so it is
a good opportunity to understand which changes cause this behavior.

There are also plenty of bug reports filled, but being ignored, that
will cause problems sooner or later. The list is available on [2]. This
is where help is needed, even if you are not Debian Developer. We can do
porter non maintainer uploads to fix this bugs. Here is the procedure
(see also [3]):
- Send a mail to the bug report telling that the fix is important for
  GNU/kFreeBSD and you may consider doing a porter NMU. That often
  triggers an answer and an upload from the maintainers.
- Wait a few days for a possible answer, and start to prepare a
  fixed package. Only include changes for this bug, and try to be
  consistent with the existing packages, that is for example use
  the patch system of the package if it uses one.
- If you still have received no answer, send the patch of the NMU to
  the BTS and explain that the package will be uploaded in 10 days.
- After 10 days without answer upload the package (you can also use the
  delayed queue instead).
- Remember that you should follow the bugs of this package and track
  possible build failures or regression caused by the patch.

If you are not a Debian Developer, follow the same procedure, use your
name and your email in the changelog entry, but instead of uploading
the package, put the sources somewhere and ask for someone to upload
it (either on the mailing list or on #debian-bsd@oftc).

Those should be considered as guidelines and should not be strictly
followed. Instead try to modulate them taking into account the possible
answers from the maintainers, the age of the bug and the importance of
the package.

You can use the GNU/kFreeBSD developer accessible machines [4] [5] to
fix packages, but they are still using the old debian-ports archive, so
don't upload packages from here. We will switch them to the debian
archive when most packages that were available in debian-ports have
been built.

Kind regards,
Aurelien

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-bsd/2009/04/msg00004.html
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=kfreebsd;users=glibc-bsd-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org;pri0=pending:pending,forwarded,pending-fixed,fixed;ttl0=Outstanding,Forwarded,Pending%20Upload,Fixed%20in%20NMU;pri1=pending%3dpending%2btag%3dwontfix,pending%3dpending%2btag%3dmoreinfo,pending%3dpending%2btag%3dpatch,pending%3dpending%2btag%3dconfirmed,pending%3dpending;ttl1=Will%20Not%20Fix,More%20information%20needed,Patch%20Available,Confirmed,Unclassified;ord1=2,3,4,1,0,5
[3] http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/pkgs.html#nmu
[4] http://io.debian.net
[5] http://asdfasdf.debian.net

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73