Re: [gsoc2009] debian-installer on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Luca Favatella dijo [Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 11:57:22PM +0100]:
> (I don't know if I have to cc other Debian mailing lists)

Probably debian-boot would be the one - I am adding a Cc: to this
mail, and quoting it fully. Debian-boot is [1] for «Developing the
installation system - Discussion and maintenance of the Debian
installation system»

> I would like to partecipate as a student in Google Summer of Code 2009.
> I'm interested in working on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.
> I propose the project "Porting debian-installer on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD".
> I'm not able to complete this task alone.
> I need someone splitting this task in smaller subtasks to complete.
> Do you think this project is a good idea?
> Is there someone wanting to mentor me?

Please note I'm mostly a mildly-informed-newbie, both in FreeBSD and
in d-i topics. Still, I've played with both. Your goal is very
interesting and I can only hope for you to pursue and succeed in it -
And do it in a generic way, which would allow for easily adapting to
any other kernel.

Still, from what I have seen, d-i uses throughout the system many
Linux-specific constructs (I'm mostly looking at udev), and many d-i
components assume Linux structures (i.e. setting up partitions with
LVM, using GRUB or LILO as the bootloader, the supported filesystems,

Still, if you are willing to dive deep into it... I know it will help
greatly our project's support for other OSs. I don't think it's
probable that -at least in early stages- you will get commit access to
the d-i repository, and you won't want to be stuck in an old version
(but that's easily fixable by many techniques). In any case, I cannot
mentor you, but if you want somebody cheering along, count me in :)

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23