Re: debianification of freebsd

I apologize if this is not the proper forum for this question.

It is definitely the right one ;-)

I was
reading through the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD wiki, and noticed this bit
"...In fact, we have removed some non-free binary-only drivers that
are contained in the upstream FreeBSD tree, like the ath driver," in a
portion describing the freeness of the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD code. I
assume this also includes the wpi (intel 3945) driver in FreeBSD
7.0-RELEASE.

We removed "non-free binary-only drivers" (like ath),
but it does not (yet) apply to "non-free firmware" (wpi).

# ls -1 /lib/modules/7.*/*wpi*
/lib/modules/7.0-1-em64t-p4-smp/if_wpi.ko
/lib/modules/7.0-1-em64t-p4-smp/wpifw.ko
/lib/modules/7.1-1-amd64/if_wpi.ko
/lib/modules/7.1-1-amd64/wpifw.ko

Hope it suffices for your needs.

Petr