network problem- can't resolve hosts

hi, i'm just now starting with Debian GNU/kfreebsd and I've already
run into a problem. Yay me =(

I installed the amd64 version (the iso is the one that dates to Feb.,
and it burned correctly), and the installation went without a hitch.
Upon reboot, no problems. I used "ifconfig -a" and it said that the
network was up and running (acc. to dmesg the boot process correctly
identified my network card and loaded the correct modules). But I
can't connect with anything:
     apt-get update fails, claiming failure to resolve host (on all mirrors)
     trying to install the pgp keys fails, saying failure to resolve
subkeys.pgp.net host
So, what am I doing wrong here? Is ifconfig wrong, or do I need to
fill out a bug report?
thanks for any help you can give me.