Re: Back to Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Am Mittwoch 16 Juli 2008 23:38:53 schrieb Petr Salinger:
> > - geli seems not to be available. Geli would be really great to
> > have since its one of freebsd's superior features (at least IMHO).
> > And it would give me the possibility to mount my other
> > freebsd-partitions ;-) . The kernel-modul for geli works and is
> > shipped, so I guess its only the userland part that isnt ported...
>
> Would you mind to fill wishlist bug on kfreebsd-7, to not forget it.

In the regular Debian Bugtracking System?

> In fact it should rather be in freebsd-utils, but is is not yet in
> Debian BTS. Please write down which commands are needed.
> It might be easy to add them into freebsd-utils.

AFAIK only the geli-command is needed. It can be found
in /usr/src/sbin/geom/class/eli

> For currently semi-supported commands you can take a look at
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/glibc-bsd/trunk/freebsd-utils/fetch?op=fil
>
> > Also it would be great to know if there is some central spot for
> > information.
>
> You can take a look at http://wiki.debian.org/Debian_GNU/kFreeBSD

I'll take a look at the wiki.

> > kernel-config (differences to GENERIC) used by Debian would be
> > interesting.
>
> You can install package kfreebsd-source-7.0, unpack just installed
> /usr/src/kfreebsd-source-7.0.tar.bz2 and in
> kfreebsd-source-7.0/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC is almost our config.
> It is also attached for your convenience.

I already found the reason for the mouse problem:
device ums
is missing in your GENERIC. Can you/someone add it, or should I file a
PR?

> Flavours do not change much, i.e. 686-smp.config:
>
>     # Kernel for Debian GNU/kFreeBSD on an i686 SMP machine
>
>     include         GENERIC
>     cpu             I686_CPU
>     makeoptions     COPTFLAGS="-O2 -frename-registers -pipe
> -march=i686 -mtune=default" ident           Debian-i686-SMP
>
>     options         SMP             # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
>     options         ALTQ_NOPCC      # Required for SMP build
>
> We might consider to ship it also somewhere in kfreebsd-image-*,
> similarly as linux-image-* does. The "include" should be performed
> directly, not by include command. Again, the wishlist bug to not
> forget this would be nice.

You mean, that you want to also ship GENERIC as an extra kernel? That
would be possible although I am quite happy with the 686-smp.
Also a wikipage documenting the Differences between Debian-GENERIC and
FreeBSD-GENERIC, would be great. There seem to be quite some
differences (removal of non-free drivers, addition of ALTQ).

On a side-note: Have you thought about switching to SCHED_ULE? At least
for SMP that should bring significant performance-improvements.

Greetings
Hannes