Re: Installing GNOME

Hi.

I just tried the latest installation CD of GNU/kFreeBSD today.
It seems to work fine, except several things.

The first one is that I cannot get to install GNOME. Several unsolvable
dependencies are making it impossible, while it works in GNU/Linux Sid.
How should I report this, and how could I help solving it?
I'm already  confident with packaging for Debian GNU/Linux, but I'm not
a DD, though I would love to become one someday.

This is a known problem. The main server of GNU/kFreeBSD has experienced
a downtime, which prevents packages from being built for two weeks.

We are now trying to build the missing packages, but it has to be done
in the correct order, so there is a lot of work. KDE suffer from the
same problem.

You can also put into /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://ftp.gnuab.org/debian-snapshot/2007-04-05 unstable main
deb http://ftp.gnuab.org/debian-snapshot/2007-04-05 unreleased main
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian dists/etch/main/binary-i386/

and comment-out all other lines (and refresh Packages by "apt-get update").

This way, you will get etch based snapshot, which does not contain
many unsolvable dependencies. This should be sufficient for
installing GNOME.

Petr