Re: Building custom apps vs deb packages ...

apt-get install postfix

it will then proceed to install PostgreSQL, LDAP, MySQL and CDB map support,
which I don't want ...

It is not needed, as postfix have only "suggest" on postfix-pgsql, postfix-ldap, ...

Is there any way of telling it to avoid all of that?  I just want a simple
postfix install with Berkeley DB support ... do I really have to configure /
build from scratch for this?

Please, which version of postfix are you using ?
Postfix needed GNU/kFreeBSD specific patch, http://glibc-bsd.alioth.debian.org//patches/debian-only/postfix.diff,
version in unreleased is severely outdated,
patch is included in version in experimental.

So, to get current unstable postfix, you have to build yourself.
Try to "apt-get build-dep postfix", "apt-get source postfix",
apply above mentioned patch and build by
"cd postfix-2.3.7; dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b -uc"

During build, PostgreSQL, LDAP, MySQL and CDB will be needed,
but not after that.

Uploading packages into unreleased is allowed only to DDs,
so I cannot upload it into archive.

Petr