cyrus-sasl build: SQLite Library sqlite does not work

I'm stump'd, and figure it has to be something obvious here ... the configure
program uses the following stub to test:

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
 *    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char sqlite_open ();
int
main ()
{
sqlite_open ();
  ;
    return 0;
    }

which, if I compile / run it outside of configure, works great:

t:/tmp# cc test.c -lsqlite
t:/tmp# ./a.out
t:/tmp#

The annoying thing is that config.log really doesn't show anything for the
error:

configure:12015: checking for sqlite_open in -lsqlite
configure:12067: result: no
configure:12076: WARNING: SQLite Library sqlite does not work

But, appears to be detecting it properly, and in the right place:

LIB_SQLITE='-L/usr/lib -R/usr/lib -lsqlite'

I figure I'm overlooking something obvious here, but am at a loss as to what
exactly it is ...

I've got both apt-get install {libsqlite0,libsqlite0-dev} installed, but that's
kinda obvious since otherwise my build/run from the command line wouldn't work

Help?

Thx ...

- ----