Re: How can I use busybox in the original FreeBSD?

> > I tried the GNU/kFreeBSD recently, it's really interesting. I installed busybox with apt-get, and it goes well.
> > Now I wanna it to run in a original FreeBSD-5.4, but failed.
> >             bash-2.05b# busybox
> >             cannot set up thread-local storage: set_thread_area failed when setting up thread-local storage
> >
> > It seems that the program can not be initialized. Does any one know how to fix it? I need your help, thanks very much!

Well, our current glibc needs file
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/i386/i386/sys_machdep.c
at least in revision 1.92.2.2 or 1.97.

Stock freebsd 5.4 does not have it, because:
RELENG_5_4_0_RELEASE  1.92.2.1.2.1
RELENG_5_5_BP	      1.92.2.4
RELENG_6_BP 	      1.102

So you have to wait for FreeBSD 5.5 or use just released FreeBSD 5.5-RC1.
Of cource FreeBSD 6.0 or newer will also have it.
You can also built your own glibc with "--without-__thread" and use stock FreeBSD 5.4.
It would allow you to run single threaded programs.
But for multi threaded programs you need newer sys_machdep.c and at least clone_signals.diff applied.

> > Besides, I have another question. Has the GNU/kFreeBSD kernel been changed?

Yes, see
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/glibc-bsd/trunk/kfreebsd-5/debian/patches/
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/glibc-bsd/trunk/kfreebsd-6/debian/patches/
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/glibc-bsd/trunk/kfreebsd-7/debian/patches/