Re: [kfreebsd-amd64] Problem building glib2.0

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 09:19:06AM +0100, Petr Salinger wrote:
> >I still have the problem with a gcc-4.0 rebuilt from source. I have
> >uploaded it to the archive, as it is a newer version.
> >
> >Moreover the problem does not seem to come from binutils, as using the .o
> >files from GNU/Linux fixes the problem. On the contrary I see the same
> >problem using the .o files from GNU/kFreeBSD on GNU/Linux.
>
> It still can be bug in binutils - in gas.
>
> Please could you compile attached lib.c by commads bellow
> on both linux-amd64 and kfreebsd-amd64
> and compare .s and .o, especially "readelf -s" ?
>
> gcc -fPIC -O2 -Wall -S lib.c -o lib1.s -DFIRST
> gcc -fPIC -O2 -Wall -S lib.c -o lib2.s
> gcc -fPIC -O2 -Wall -c lib1.s
> gcc -fPIC -O2 -Wall -c lib2.s
> gcc -shared -o liblib.so lib1.o lib2.o

I have done you test, and I compared the resulting files. The .s files
are identical, but the .o and .so files are different. readelf -s show
the same sections (and a few difference than can be explained), but the
assembly code is a bit different.

Sorry I can tell you more, however I have attached the files to the
mail.

> BTW, glibc 2.4 in Debian might be closer than we think
> http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2006-03/msg00050.html

Well, we have started a glibc 2.4 branch that will be targeted for
experimental, however, we still don't know if it will be enough stable
on all architectures to be considered for etch (the freeze of the
toolchain will occur in July).

Thanks for you help,
Aurelien