Re: libpmount for Hurd and kNetBSD

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 12:28:54PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I recently uploaded preliminar versions of libpmount to unstable, and I'm
> currently working on it. libpmount is a portability library that pretends
> to replace unportable mount() calls with a unified pmount() interface
> that has the same API on all platforms.
>
> I intend to push it as the general option for applications to mount in
> Debian. This means when a number of packages are using it, they won't
> work on unsupported kernels untill the kernel-specific extensions are
> written.
>
> There are currently extensions for Linux and kFreeBSD. I'm looking
> forward to kNetBSD and Hurd porters to write the respective extensions.
> The necessary code is quite small and can be ripped from whatever is in
> the mount utility you're currently using.

Dropped on my TODO list unless someone else wants to grab it first.
Certainly this should help sanitize a lot of... interesting... issues. I
expect that this will be obvious on looking at it, but does it support
arbitrary filesystem types (such as union mounts on BSD systems that have
the concept)?
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU/kNetBSD(i386) porter                                      : :' :