Re: GNU/KFreeBSD installation guide

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 03:39, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> Looks good. Two comments:
>
> 1. There are likely to be more issues with trying to install over a 5.1
> or 5.2 system than just the kernel. glibc, and anything using it should
> work fine. (Last I knew it was ok on 4.x.) But the native utilities
> packages are likely to have problems when they don't match the kernel.
> I've got 5.1 packages and the necessary support should be in CVS. I'm
> not sure if the packages are on ftp.gnuab.org or not, though.

Seem to be all 5.1 packages on gnuab.org. I haven't had much luck with
kbuildutils though. "ELF interpreter /libfbsd/ld-elf.so.1 not found".
That's from running config. Obviously /libfbsd/ being non-existent
doesn't help. I'll just stick with a GENERIC kernel in the meantime.

> 2. It might be worth noting that start-stop-daemon is slightly buggy.
> Sometimes it gets confused and won't start or stop something. This is a
> known bug that doesn't have a very good fix.   The result of this is
> that sometimes it may be necessary to kill a process manually or remove
> a pid file before one will start.
>
> 3. People have reported problems with /usr/{share}/info/dir. I got
> around it by copying from a Linux box and deleting all the stuff in it
> except the top of the file.

Thanks for the feedback. I added all the info you mentioned.

--
Joshua Cummings