Re: GNU/KFreeBSD installation guide

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 02:11:46AM +1100, Joshua Cummings wrote:
> I've written a fairly short and simple GNU/KFreeBSD installation guide
> based on the exisiting INSTALL file. It's just a bit more detailed and
> contains notes, warnings etc. based on my experience setting up a
> GNU/KFreeBSD system.

Looks good. Two comments:

1. There are likely to be more issues with trying to install over a 5.1
or 5.2 system than just the kernel. glibc, and anything using it should
work fine. (Last I knew it was ok on 4.x.) But the native utilities
packages are likely to have problems when they don't match the kernel.
I've got 5.1 packages and the necessary support should be in CVS. I'm
not sure if the packages are on ftp.gnuab.org or not, though.

2. It might be worth noting that start-stop-daemon is slightly buggy.
Sometimes it gets confused and won't start or stop something. This is a
known bug that doesn't have a very good fix.   The result of this is
that sometimes it may be necessary to kill a process manually or remove
a pid file before one will start.

3. People have reported problems with /usr/{share}/info/dir. I got
around it by copying from a Linux box and deleting all the stuff in it
except the top of the file.