GNU/KFreeBSD SSH problem

I checked the list archives and google and found nothing similar to my
problem, so I hope someone can help.

I just set up a GNU/KFreeBSD system and I've installed openssh.
Everything installs and runs fine, but I can't connect to the BSD box as
a non-root user. When I try to log in (ie. enter my password) I see "pid
whatever (sshd), uid 1000: exited on signal 10" on the console.
On the GNU/Linux box I'm connecting from I get this,

jrac@krumm:~% ssh jrac@crackgremlin
jrac@crackgremlin's password:
Connection to crackgremlin closed by remote host.
Connection to crackgremlin closed.

I'm eager to have a go at porting/building some kfreebsd packages, but
the system's monitor is extremely blurry (dying), so I need ssh to work.

I'm running FreeBSD 5.1. Let me know if anyone needs any extra
information.

Thanks,
Joshua Cummings