Re: Glibc-based Debian GNU/KNetBSD

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 04:21:04PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org> writes:
> >> I haven't been following too closely. Could someone explain what the
> >> issue is? Obviously XFree works fine on NetBSD -- I'm using it at this
> >> very moment. Given that it works fine on NetBSD, what's the issue?
> >
> > Crucial issues mostly amounted to differences between libraries linked to
> > on NetBSD and those linked to by default under Linux (which, prior to the
> > patches, XFree86 assumed for Debian).
> [...]
> > Apart from that, it was mostly stuff like "where do man pages live", "how
> > do I call <X> userland utility", etc - most of that is in the NetBSD.cf
> > patch.
>
> Okay, so it wasn't functional issues, it was integration issues. Gotcha.

Pretty much, yes; what few things were functional issues were generally
(obviously) broken in the XFree86 tree, and usually were assumptions that
had been safely true until... well, until we came along, really. :)

I believe most or all of those were fixed upstream, and the patches may no
longer be in the tree; like I said, it's been a year or so.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU NetBSD/i386 porter                                        : :' :