Re: Glibc-based Debian GNU/KNetBSD

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:41:48AM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> >> All I have to say about the X server, as the person who generated most
> >> of the patches, is that they're actually very straightforward, if rather
> >> invasive. I simply had to go through each config option and decide whether
> >> it should be handled in the 'native' way, or the GNU-userland way (and it
> >> was very much a userland issue, not a libc issue).
> >>
> >> The *hard* part was in hunting down build problems and bad assumptions in
> >> something the size of the X codebase. That isn't going to be any saner on a
> >> Glibc+FreeBSD system; probably less sane, in fact.
> >
> > That was pretty much my experience, too. In fact, I tried to get it
> > working on glibc, and had fits with it. I particularly remember xterm
> > being a disaster. I gave up on it, and Robert evidently got it working
> > except for the server. It probably needs some headers in <sys/> that
> > glibc didn't get right.
>
> I haven't been following too closely. Could someone explain what the
> issue is? Obviously XFree works fine on NetBSD -- I'm using it at this
> very moment. Given that it works fine on NetBSD, what's the issue?

Crucial issues mostly amounted to differences between libraries linked to
on NetBSD and those linked to by default under Linux (which, prior to the
patches, XFree86 assumed for Debian).

That's why the Imake patches exist (to provide some concept of
distinction).

Apart from that, it was mostly stuff like "where do man pages live", "how
do I call <X> userland utility", etc - most of that is in the NetBSD.cf
patch.

Frankly, to give youa *complete* answer, I'd have to go read the patches
again, myself; it's been almost a year since I worked on them actively,
and I long ago dumped state (and yes, I need to redo a bunch of it,
potentially, for 4.3/4.4; that's on my list after getting -current/pre-2.0
working and buildable, and ensuring GCC works with it).
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU NetBSD/i386 porter                                        : :' :