Re: Glibc-based Debian GNU/KNetBSD

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 09:26:33PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> We've got about 4500 packages in pkgsrc -- a fraction of the number
> some folks like Debian support, but quite a number -- and in the
> course of making them all work we routinely find that we have to fix
> things in NetBSD. For example, programs like xmms have inspired many
> changes to our threads system.

Like I said, [n]ftw is one example. Debian's dpkg sources require it, and
(once given a suitable proposed code) the NetBSD folks have been very good
about hammering on it to get the bugs out, and include it in their libc.

It's also an excellent example of why I, personally, want to avoid ever
using Glibc again if I have a choice - look at the code I wrote for
NetBSD's use, and then look at the code in Glibc to do the same stuff.

Then look for some borax and a skull drill, to get the horror out of
your brain.
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU NetBSD/i386 porter                                        : :' :