Re: Debian GNU/FreeBSD packages missing

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 06:00:36PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 10:30:45AM -0500, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> >
> > Yes. The main problem is that it is very difficult to get /usr/include
> > to a usable state. glibc breaks compiling nearly all the sbin and
> > usr.sbin sources from the FreeBSD tree, and those are necessary. (It
> > also breaks bind9, due to severely screwed up headers in
> > /usr/include/inet.) I hadn't yet got to the point where I can compile
> > the kernel itself.
>
> Can't we have both? at least temporarily, untill we get time to fix the
> sbin and usr.sbin FreeBSD sources. the compilation of BSD base utils can
> be a bit tricky, but this way we can get a usable system for developement
> very soon.

You mean both libc's coexisting? I did that briefly while getting glibc
to work. It doesn't work well. You have to have a second /etc and /lib,
at least. An extra /usr/include for compiling. It becomes painful
quickly.

As for fixing the sbin/usr.sbin sources: they aren't the problem as much of
the time. The real problem is that FreeBSD's kernel headers are
intertwined with libc headers, and it doesn't mesh well with glibc.
Now, if someone wanted to take over untangling that, and maintaining it for
each kernel version, it would solve the problem.

But Bruno Haible has not done so (in fact, I'm not sure if he's still
working on the port at all), and I don't have time and resources to
do it either.

	---Nathan