Re: Changes in formal naming for NetBSD porting effort(s)

Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org> a écrit:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:33:30AM +0200, Momchil Velikov wrote:
> >   How can the use of ``NetBSD'' "dilute" the trademark, when it
> >   refers
> > to a piece of the same software ?
>
> Because 'NetBSD' normally refers to the entire system - kernel, libc,
> userland, pkgsrc (but not the things downloaded and compiled by the use
> of the pkgsrc system), as well as the whole arrangement - just as we
> wouldn't want someone who built an OS running dpkg and APT as the
> package management tools, but didn't follow any of Policy or other such
> things, to call it"Debian".

I agree with you. And this is not only a question of trademark; some users
 may be confused too.
What if a user posts in the NetBSD user mailing list an error caused by
a Debian userland tool/library?

On another topic, here is my proposal for new names:

DebNet, DebFree, and DebOpen.

I like the idea of keeping Net, Free and Open as a prefix/suffix, which
is a clear hint to users, without causing a trademark issue.

Xavier de Labouret