Re: Glibc-based Debian GNU/KNetBSD

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 08:54:01AM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> > In any case, I hope I did indicate that I have less experience than many
> > list posters with threads (although I hope to gain at least a bit more
> > when I take an operating systems course at my uni as soon as next fall).
> > If anything I said in the previous paragraph is rubbish, I'm quite
> > willing to believe it.
>
> For those without the benefit of a University course, I would suggest picking
> up one of the oldest classical texts on OS design principles and practice,
> though I suggest reading it with a critical eye:
>
> Operating Systems Design and Implementation, Second Edition
> Tannebaum, A. S. & Woodhull, A. S.
> (Prentice Hall, 1997)

According to the course syllabus for this year's edition of the course,
there is a "draft of the course textbook" available online, and they
recommend but don't require another book by Tanenbaum (whose name they
spell with no doubled N), which is _Modern Operating Systems_, Second
Edition, by Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Prentice Hall, 2001. Some or all of the
course textbook (written by the professor, no less) is online, but I'm
not going to post a link on this mailing list because I don't know if
the professor wants it to be generally available to the world at large.
(If he doesn't want that, then he especially wouldn't want a link that's
permanently and publically archived on many sites and quite findable via
Google.) It's supposed to be a really intense course, wherein you write
threads implementations, a simple VFS, a simple filesystem to work with
the VFS, etc., and it's amazingly intense if you take the additional
"half-credit" lab section where you write a large portion of a
simplified *NIX-like OS called Weenix. ;-) Here's to hoping I have my
study skills refined by then....

- Jimmy Kaplowitz
jimmy@debian.org