Re: Glibc-based Debian GNU/KNetBSD

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Joel Baker wrote:

> $ cd /var/lib/apt/lists
> $ grep "^Package:" http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_*_Sources |
> sort | uniq | wc -l
> 8030

Thanks for the information.

> > Another thing that is interesting is that most of pkgsrc is usable on
> > non-NetBSD systems. Many admins use it to have a consistent third-party
> > software installation method under Solaris and Linux. pkgsrc is used (or
> > has been used) under BSD/OS, Mac OS X, Darwin OS, Irix, FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
> > HP-UX, and others. In fact, one pkgsrc developer is beginning to use
> > pkgsrc (via mingw compiler) to provide software for Windows platforms.
> >
> > I even use pkgsrc to build and install Linux the kernel, glibc, iptables,
> > vixie-cron, shadow, all components of my Linux distribution. (A few of
> > these pkgsrc packages are not in pkgsrc or pkgsrc-wip yet though.)
>
> Of course, the same is true of dpkg/apt; with fairly minor changes, dpkg /
> apt can be built on nearly any modern POSIX system (in fact, the only issue
> with NetBSD was a non-POSIX-compliance issue). Which is to say, they're
> both portable, useable management tools, and so it isn't suprising that
> people port them and use them to manage things. :)

Yes, I understand that. The point is that pkgsrc is already used on
various platforms and most of the build instructions/patching has been
done to configure, build, and install correctly on a wide variety of
platforms. I'd be curious to know if dpkg/apt is regularily used on
Solaris, for Windows, HPUX, IRIX, BSD/OS, normal FreeBSD, normal OpenBSD.
(If I recall correctly, I think soem derivative is used for some Darwin
OS.)

Also, many of the *diff.gz patches for the dpkg sources are not portable
across Irix, Solaris, NetBSD, etc. (I often review debian source diff.gz
files to get ideas for patches and to see build and
configuration methods.)

By the way, I like Debian packages too! apt is very useful :)

  Jeremy C. Reed
echo '9,J8HD,fDGG8B@?:536FC5=8@I;C5?@H5B0D@5GBIELD54DL>@8L?:5GDEJ8LDG1' |\
sed ss,s50EBsg | tr 0-M 'p.wBt SgiIlxmLhan:o,erDsduv/cyP'