Re: Glibc-based Debian GNU/KNetBSD

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 06:00:06PM -0500, Perry E.Metzger wrote:

> Robert Millan <zeratul2@wanadoo.es> writes:
> >
> > I'm not impressed.
>
> Hey, you said that you would be able to avoid having to deal with
> maintaining the glibc stuff yourself because the "upstream" would do
> it for you. I doubt that the FSF people will do it, and I doubt that
> we (NetBSD) are going to do it, so what's left?

It isn't the FSF who maintains Glibc.

> As I said, though, it is likely that the NetBSD folks would happily
> add needed stuff from glibc to the netbsd libc. I mean, who wants to
> have a libc that won't run popular third party apps? Of course we'd be
> amenable.

Please avoid the "third party" euphemism. If you want to run non-free software
on a Glibc-based system, you can use the NetBSD libc since it's no technical
problem to provide it as alternative (ala Linux libc5)

> > Porting to a Glibc-based from another is kids play.
>
> You aren't listening. The threads stuff is not kids play.
> [...]

The threads stuff is not as relevant nor as complicated as you pretend. I've
been working with libpth (and so has the NetBSD 1.6 libc based port) and
haven't found any incompatibility yet. At some point we'll study which of
porting NPTL or porting the pthreads from NetBSD's libc is a more viable
option.

If you want to help or propose a solution, that's fine, but stop playing
devil's advocate which is just a waste of my time.

> > In a few months I started two ports and brought them to a stage that
> > took years for a group of people to attain.
>
> Ever hear of the 80/20 rule? I easily believe you can get the thing
> very far along inside a couple of months. Trying to make it actually
> bulletproof for production use -- especially with all the bells and
> whistles complete -- is not the same thing.

And that doesn't apply to the other port? Well, I think we should postpone the
discussion untill the port is ready for production use, in a pair of weeks.

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)