PPP for GNU/FreeBSD (was: Re: apt repository)

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 02:37:42PM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:

> I believe that FreeBSD has a variant of the same pppd. I don't know how
> out of sync it is with the upstream sources, though. IIRC, I believe
> there are two or three different ways to do PPP on FreeBSD.
>
> If porting Debian's pppd package turns out to be unfeasible or inferior
> for some reason, one of the other methods might be made to work.

I just checked debian's ppp sources and it supports FreeBSD's kernel. I
haven't tried, but in a quick look seems like adding "GNU/FreeBSD" to
./configure would get it working (stealing kernel options from "FreeBSD"
and user options from "Linux")

In any case, for those of you interested in FreeBSD's ppp:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ppp-and-slip.html

But i really think we should avoid FreeBSD's user sources when we have
a working alternative:

 - with debian's ppp, Glibc support is maintained for GNU/Linux and
   FreeBSD's kernel support is maintained for FreeBSD system.
 - with FreeBSD's ppp, FreeBSD's kernel support is maintained natively
   but we'd have to maintain Glibc support ourselves.