Re: iconv availability

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 12:20:11AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 08:20:15PM -0700, Joel Baker wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 03:08:02PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > iconv is part of glibc on Debian GNU/Linux. Is it available anywhere on
> > > Debian GNU/*BSD? I plan to use it in man-db and would like to know if
> > > I'm going to need special dependencies for the BSD ports.
> >
> > I have libiconv ITP'ed and pending upload once there is a binary section
> > that can take it. This is the GNU iconv library (separate from the glibc
> > code), but as far as I can tell from reading the docs, the API is the same.
>
> If that includes /usr/bin/iconv, then excellent. (Sorry if I wasn't
> clear - that was what I meant originally, not iconv().) If the package
> name is just 'iconv' then I'll depend on that for the BSDs somehow.

If iconv is something separated from glibc, but is included in glibc
build on Linux, wouldn't it be more clean to have glibc provide: iconv
and have a separated package for BSD (instead of using conditionnal
dependencies) ?

(i may be totally wrong, i only ask for my curiosity...)

--
Jeremie Koenig <sprite@sprite.fr.eu.org>